This article covers how to use Content Engine to create custom exams. Content Engine is available in enterprise accounts.
This article contains the following sections:
How to Create a Custom Exam
Note: If you want to create a custom exam using custom questions, you should create the questions before you begin this procedure. See Creating Custom Questions for Exams.
Use the following steps to create a custom exam:
- From the dashboard, click the building icon to open the management dashboard.
- Choose Content Engine from the left navigation and then click Exams from the menu that appears.
The Exams screen appears.
- Click the Create button in the upper right corner.
- A form appears where you enter the information about your new exam. The Exam Settings tab appears first.
- Select whether you want to start the exam from scratch or clone an existing exam and edit it. Fill out the remaining fields in the form and click Next.
Tip: If you intend the exam to be an evaluation rather than passed or failed, you can set the Minimum score required to pass the exam slider to zero.
Tip: You must complete fields in the Advanced Settings sections, so don't forget to click Advanced Settings at the bottom of the page to expand it. You can customize the scoring system by changing the values for the exam variables. See How can I customize the scoring system for exams and evaluate different topic areas? for more information.
The Selected Questions tab becomes active.
- From the Selected Questions tab, drag and drop the question to the right box to add questions to the exam. You can also look up for questions using the search bar and use the filter icon on the search bar to find questions relevant to your exam.
Note: On the Exam Settings tab, you selected a number of questions for the exam. You must select at least that number of questions on this tab before you can publish the exam. If you configured multiple topics areas, you may need even more questions to provide enough material to evaluate all the topic areas.
Complete the fields on the tab and click the Skill Objectives tab. The Skill Objectives tab becomes active.
- Choose the skill objectives for this exam and click Save.
How to Publish a Custom Exam
You must publish a custom exam before it is available to include in learning paths or training plans or for learners to complete. Any enterprise user can create a custom exam, but only administrators can publish them.
If you are an administrator, you can publish an exam by opening the exam in Content Engine and clicking the Publish button. You must unpublish the exam if you want to make changes later, then publish it again to make those changes available to your learners.
If the Publish button does not appear, you may not have added enough questions to the exam. On the Exam Settings tab, you configure a number of questions for the exam. You must add at least that number of questions. Additionally, you have the option to configure multiple topic areas that the exam evaluates. You need to add enough questions in each topic area for the test to accurately score the test-taker's proficiency.
How to Find Where a Custom Exam Is Used
When you have a custom exam open in Content Engine, you can use the List parents option on the Actions menu to see where the exam has been used.
A window appears showing the learning paths and training plans that include the exam. It also shows all instances of the exam being assigned to a team or member.