This article covers the steps to create your own custom resources using Content Engine. Enterprise customers can add documents to their Cloud Academy account for their own use. Any user in an enterprise account can create custom resources and manage the custom resources they create. However, only administrators can publish the custom resources to make them available to use in learning paths.
This article contains the following sections:
- What Is a Custom Resource
- Where to Create Custom Resources
- How to Create Custom Resources in Content Engine
- How to Publish a Custom Resource
- How to Find Where a Custom Resource is Used
What Is a Custom Resource
A custom resource is a file that you create and upload to Cloud Academy through Content Engine. You can add custom resources to your custom learning paths to help in training your own employees. The custom resources you create are available to users in only your own account.
A custom resource can be any text or image file. In addition, the following file extensions are allowed:
For security, the system converts all files except for movies into PDFs, as you see in the image below:
When learners view the resources in the Cloud Academy PDF reader, they'll have access to several document tools to search, zoom, and download the PDF.
When you upload a custom resource, you indicate which skills the content reinforces. You can publish the custom resource to your entire company or to only the teams you select. After you've updated the custom resource, you can include it when you create a custom learning path.
Where to Create Custom Resources
You can begin the process to create a custom resource in two places.
First, You can add a custom resource as part of the process of creating a custom learning path, as you see below:
Alternately, you can choose the Resources tab from Content Engine, as seen here:
How to Create Custom Resources in Content Engine
Any user in an enterprise account can create custom resources in Content Engine, but only administrators can publish the custom resources. Use the following steps to upload a resource through Content Engine:
- From the dashboard, click your company name in the upper right-hand and choose Content Engine from the menu that appears. The Content Engine screen appears.
- Select Resources on the top menu. The Resources screen appears.
- Click the Create button in the upper right-hand corner. A form appears where you upload your custom resource and enter information about it.
- Complete the fields:
- Title: Enter the name that identifies the custom resource.
- Content duration: Enter the number of minutes that you expect a user to need to complete the resource.
- Attachment: Click Upload a file to upload the resource file from your computer or insert a resource URL.
- Full Description: Enter the text to appear on the custom resource introduction page.
- Card Description: Enter the text to appear on the card that users see in the user dashboard and in the library.
- Skill Objectives: Choose the skills in the Skill Profile that this resource applies to. If you need a custom skill added, you can click the Request a custom skill objective link to contact Cloud Academy customer support. Adding a custom objective requires at least 24 hours.
- Advanced Settings: Click this heading to open a section where you can change the Cover Image of the custom resource. Click the Browse button to choose a different cover image.
- Click Save when you are done. The Save button changes to a Publish button, and a new Actions button appears next to it.
- Hover your mouse over the Actions menu and choose Permissions from the menu that appears. The Select permissions window appears.
You can choose make the resource available to the entire company or to only specific teams.
- Click Save.
How to Publish a Custom Resource
The following procedure picks up at the end of the How to Create Custom Resources procedure. You must be an administrator of an enterprise account to complete this procedure. Use the following steps to publish custom resources:
- If the uploaded resource is not a video, you can publish it immediately by selecting Publish.
- If the uploaded resource is a video, Content Engine needs to process it before publishing. Click Start Processing on the top right menu.
Your video resource appears in the processing bucket in processing status.
- When processing is complete (time to process depends on the video length), Content Engine moves the video out of the processing bucket and publishes it. Click the Published bucket to see a list of published custom resources.
- Double check that your custom resource is listed as published. Published status means that the custom resource is available to include in your custom learning path.
How to Find Where a Custom Resource is Used
When you have a custom resource open in Content Engine, you can use the List parents option on the Actions menu to see where the resource has been used.
A window appears showing the content items that include the resource.