Welcome to the Cloud Marathon! By participating in the Cloud Marathon, you have the chance to earn a full refund on your 100-day subscription cost just by doing two things every day for 100 days in a row:
- Study in Cloud Academy for 1 hour per day
- Use the platform to post to social media each day about your studying experience
You also have the option to sign up for the half marathon in which you can earn a 50% refund by studying and posting 50 days of the 100-day period.
This FAQ contains the following questions:
- Who is eligible?
- How do I sign up?
- What are the requirements?
- Why do I need to share on social media?
- Can I do more than 1 hour per day?
- What if I don’t have a LinkedIn or Twitter account?
- When does my first day start?
- What time does each day reset?
- What happens if I change time zones during the challenge?
- Do I have to share through your platform?
- Can I use the Cloud Academy mobile app to complete my challenge time requirements?
- What if I watch a course at a faster speed?
- What if I watch the same course twice?
- What types of content count toward the time requirement?
- Can I change my commitment?
If you still have questions after reading this, you can reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Who is eligible?
Registration is now closed. Stay tuned for future marathons. The Cloud Marathon is open to new users or returning users with an expired account. Current active users are not eligible for this marathon. However, we'd like to open future marathons to existing users.
How do I sign up?
Registration is now closed. Stay tuned for future marathons.
If you've never had a Cloud Academy account before, you can go to the Join Cloud Marathon page, click the Join Now button, and follow the prompts to get started.
If you have a Cloud Academy account that expired:
- First you need to use this link to log in to your account. After you have logged in, the system will take you to the checkout page for the Cloud Marathon.
- If you are already logged in, you can use this link to go directly to the Cloud Marathon checkout page.
- If you tried to register using the form for new users and got this error message, just click log in here to log in. After you log in, the system will direct you to the Cloud Marathon checkout page.
What are the requirements?
Each day of the 100-day period starting on June 14, 2021 through September 21, 2021, you must:
- Complete 1 hour of training on Cloud Academy, AND
- Use the tool on the Cloud Academy platform to share about your training to LinkedIn or Twitter
You must complete both requirements, in this order, each day. After you complete your training time requirement, a button becomes available from the Marathon dashboard for you to share to your choice of LinkedIn or Twitter.
You must use this tool to meet the requirements—sharing outside this tool will not count!
If you are completing the half-marathon, you have the same 100-day period, but you only need to complete those 2 requirements on 50 out of the 100 days.
Can I do more than 1 hour per day?
Yes! Completing more than 1 hour of training gets you more XP and bragging rights with your friends. See the Cloud Marathon article for more information about XP.
However, extra time on a day does NOT count toward other days. For example, you cannot do 2 hours of training on Monday and expect to skip Tuesday; you still would have to log in Tuesday and complete 1 hour of training time.
Why do I need to share on social media?
Sharing about your training on social media has benefits for you and for us:
- Sharing with a community helps you keep yourself accountable to complete your training. We created this challenge parallel to #100DaysOfCloud, which involves heavy community participation.
- You telling the world about your training experience helps us get the word out about the Cloud Marathon and about Cloud Academy.
After your training time requirement is complete, just visit the Marathon dashboard and click the Share button. Follow the steps to get credit for sharing that day.
What if I don’t have a LinkedIn or Twitter account?
The challenge requires that you share about your training, so now is a good time to set up a Twitter or LinkedIn account! Both types of accounts are free and give you a lot of control over your privacy and preferences.
When does my first day start?
The first day of your 100-day challenge starts at 2 a.m. local time (the time zone set in your browser) June 14, 2021.
If you register for the marathon before June 14, you have time to get acquainted with the platform and "warm up" for the marathon. However, any training you do before the marathon starts does NOT count toward your marathon total.
What time does each day reset?
The days reset at 2 a.m. local time. By 2 a.m., you must have done the following to get credit for the day:
- Completed 1-hour of studying, AND
- Used the Share button on the Marathon dashboard to share on social media about your studying that day.
Both items must be COMPLETE by 2 a.m., so make sure you've started training early enough!
What happens if I change time zones during the challenge?
The time zone is set based on your browser’s time zone when you start the challenge. It will not be changed during the challenge, even if you reset the time zone in your browser.
Do I have to share through your platform?
Yes. If you share about your training outside of the platform, it will not count toward your requirements.
When you complete your training for the day, a Share button becomes available on the Marathon dashboard. Click the button to open a window where you share to your social account. You must use the button on the Marathon dashboard to get credit for sharing; however, we do not store your social credentials!
Can I use the Cloud Academy mobile app to complete my challenge time requirements?
Yes! The time you spend consuming training content on your mobile device does count toward your challenge total.
However, you won’t be able to see the Marathon dashboard from the mobile app, so you’ll want to log in to the web platform to watch your progress and complete the requirement to share on social media.
Also, if you are using the offline mode in the mobile app, you could run into a delay with your consumption being tracked on the marathon dashboard. The safest option to ensure that you meet your content requirement each day is to use the web platform.
What if I watch a course at a faster speed?
The challenge requires you to spend 1 hour studying, regardless of course speed. So, if you watch a 1-hour course at 2x speed, you will have spent only half an hour, and it will count as only half an hour toward your goal.
What if I watch the same course twice?
Learners often go back and revisit content to reinforce their learning. Watching a course a second time does contribute to your time requirement.
What types of content count toward the time requirement?
These types of content count toward the hour:
- Training Plans
- learning paths
- labs (all types)
Content that is available outside of the training library does not count toward your time requirement, such as:
- blog posts
Similarly, time you spend on outside web pages does NOT count toward your time requirement, even if the URLs to those web pages are provided in a course.
Can I change my commitment?
If you signed up for the full marathon, you can switch to the half marathon during the first 40 days of the challenge.
To make the switch, simply fail to complete the requirements on a day before July 23, 2021. The system will prompt you to switch to the half marathon the next time you log in. If you go on to complete the requirements for a total of 50 days through September 21, 2021, you will be eligible for a 50% refund.
Note: Once you’re past the 40-day mark of your full marathon (Friday, July 23, 2021), you cannot change to the half marathon! Make sure you affirm that you are changing to the half marathon in the platform or else you will just be considered to have failed the full marathon.
If you signed up for (or switched to) the half-marathon, you cannot switch to the full marathon.